Summary: Emma Humphries is an experienced web developer and project manager who thrives when integrating systems and working across teams.
November 2015 - Present
As the Bugmaster for the Firefox web browser team, I develop, implement, and educate Mozillans-both staff and community members-about our engineering practices.
The Firefox team had no consistent processes for triaging bugs. After discussions with engineers, product owners, program managers, and QA staff from across Mozilla, I designed and implemented a triage schema for all of Firefox development using our main repository. This enabled me to support engineering management with a view into bugs which could had cause major issues in our relase of Firefox Quantum.
I am preparing rules and policies for using feature flags to deploy new Firefox feature off-release cycle, to avoid future release-related bugs.
The Mozilla bug tracker, Bugzilla, is a social network, and needs moderation and review. I developed a process for handling content in violation of our Codes of Conduct. I collaborated with the community-facing add-ons and support teams on esclation and reporting.
Supporting diversity and inclusion is critical to building great products, so I worked on the revision of our Code of Conduct for Mozillians, tested a pilot of a development course for Mozilla staff from underrepresented groups, and developed and ran experiments on how to improve inclusion in our bug-handling processes.
Peel Technologies, Mountain View
June 2014 - July 2015
- Integrated a third party service for managing TV viewer’s DVRs, maintaing the interfaces to existing Peel DVR APIs as a drop in replacement
- Improved user conversions to our mobile apps through integrations with Twitter, Facebook, Google App Store, and iTunes Store
- Rewrote a prototype tool for driving audiences to television programs into production-quality code
- Wrote unit and functional tests for Tune-In platform using Selenium, JUnit, and Mocha/Chai/Sinon
- Working with devops, established processes for continuous release
- Built proof of concept for a phone-based television remote for FirefoxOS
WhiteHat Security, Santa Clara
April 2011 - May 2014
- Improved performance of customer reporting website by switching from an older database interface to fetching results through a web API called from the client side. Reduced page loads from minutes to fractional seconds.
- Built reporting and management website for new static code analysis product using Backbone and RequireJS and web APIs.
- Building new UI for main customer-facing reporting and administration website using Backbone and RequireJS.
L4 Systems, Seattle
July 2010 - March 2011
- Built prototype application for Samsung ConnectedTVs providing search for events and concerts via a web API which integrated Google and Bing maps into results.
- Constructed other prototypes using PHP and Ruby On Rails.
Linden Research, San Francisco
September 2007 - June 2010
Project Manager, Core Engineering
- Under tight deadlines and shifting requirements, worked with a distributed team of developers and product managers to deliver simulator and client components for a new identity management feature for the Second Life 3D virtual world.
- Supported developers building tools for managing 3D content exported from Second Life for customers of Second Life Enterprise. Wrote test plans for QA team in Singapore, as well as deployment plans for release team. Ran daily scrums, and represented team at Enterprise team scrum of scrums.
Technical Project Manager, Open Grid Technologies
- Managed Open Grid Public Beta program, which involved over 100 residents and developers, enabling transfers (“teleport”) of avatars between a Second Life beta grid and externally managed OpenSim grids.
- Developed an innovative plan to promote the Beta Program, communicating the benefits to not only developers, but the broader Second Life resident community.
- Developed inventory provisioning code that outfitted new Second Life residents with custom avatars based on the popular television show CSI:NY, and worked with developers from Electric Sheep to integrate their registration system with Second Life’s and support a peak of 20,000 new registrations in one hour during the episode’s initial airing
- Developed user and inventory snapshot code to improve unit tests for developers.
- Worked with other web and back end system engineers to find bottlenecks in web services.
September 2001 - August 2007
User Interface Engineer, .Mac
- Developed Ajax and JSON-driven web applications for .Mac Customers: Gallery, Webmail, and iWeb Comments
Web Engineer, Human Resources
- Developed web applications for Apple Employees and HR professionals, including: Online Learning, Content Management Systems, and Web Based HR Manuals
2Roam, Redwood City, CA
Client Development Software Engineer, January 2000 - July 2001
OnRadio, Scotts Valley, CA
Software Engineer, March 1999 - December 1999
Electric Power Research Institute, Palo Alto, CA
Web Technologist, April 1996 - March 1999
James Tiptree, Jr. Literary Award Council
Web master, December 1995 - May 2004
Programming Languages and Libraries
Jira, Mercurial, Subversion, Git, vim, Jenkins/Hudson, JSHint, JSLint, Selenium, Mocha, Chai, Sinon, Bower, Mimosa
University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1990
University of Texas at Austin, 1987